Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Active Reading

5 Comments
1. I think the main character lives with her Aunt Baba.
2. I dont think anyone likes the protagonist because her mother died after giving birth to her
3.The brothers seem very wild and rude
4.Third Big Brother and Aunt Baba are the only characters that are nice to the protagonist
5. I think Niang is being nice to big sister because she's up to something
4 Questions
1. How old was the protagonist's mother when she died?
2.Why are very young women married to older men?
3.Where is the setting of this book?
4.Does the protagonist of the book get along with her Niang (step-mother)
3 Vocab Words
1.Parceled- an object, article, container, or quantity of something wrapped or packed up; small package; bundle.
2.Awnings- A rooflike structure, often made of canvas or plastic, that serves as a shelter, as over a storefront, window, door, or deck
3.Maimed- To disable or disfigure, usually by depriving of the use of a limb or other part of the body.
2 Literary Terms
1. "Her large dark brown eyes were fringed with long, thick lashes"- imagery
2."I knew I should remain silent but my words choked me."-personification

1 Overview Sentence
1. In the portion of the book that I've read, the protagonist got a reward for leading her class; she also got into a fight with her older brother and her older sister.

No comments: